Every year my family writes out what we are thankful for on note cards and reads them out loud to each other after our Thanksgiving meal. It is a great opportunity to reflect on God’s goodness to me. The Lord has lavished so many blessings upon this sinner who deserves only God’s righteous judgment. Yet instead he gives me grace upon grace. Here is just a short summary of what I am thankful for:
- My Lord and my Savior; my God and my King; the Creator and Sustainer of all things; the One who was and is and is to come—Jesus Christ.
- Parents whose marriage pictures Christ and the church, a temporary parable of a permanent reality, who raised me to love God and others.
- A brother who admonishes and exhorts me to godliness—a best friend I treasure dearly.
- A new sister whose imperishable beauty is in the heart, a gentle and quiet spirit, precious in God’s sight. I couldn’t have asked for a better sister-in-law.
- Family that truly enjoys beings a family, and making sure to spend the most significant times of the year together.
- Friends that have been there for so many years I consider them like family, and great traditions we enjoy together like soccer on Thanksgiving.