5 Books I Read in 2011
Unbroken (by Laura Hillenbrand) – A story that demonstrates the depths of man’s sin and the greatness of God’s grace. The book is a biography of the life of Louis Zamperini, Olympic distance runner and WW2 POW. A must read. (Read an extended review on our blog.)
The Valley of Vision – A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions (by Arthur Bennett) This is a resource that I go to several times throughout the year. The audio version is nice as well. The prayers of the Puritans challenge me like nothing else when it comes to my spiritual life. Their desire for holiness and sensitivity to sin causes me to look inward in honest evaluation each time I read or listen. Highly recommended.
John MacArthur-Servant of the Word and Flock (by Iain H. Murray) – This is a good book for those who want to know of MacArthur’s background as well as ministry successes and challenges. Recommended for those seeking to serve in the pastorate.
The Practice of Godliness (by Jerry Bridges) – An older book that I actually reread. Great for refocusing priorities and self-examination.
- At the Throne of Grace – A Book of Prayers (by John MacArthur) – Nice collection of prayers by MacArthur that are built around various themes.
6 Books I Intend to Read in 2012
- Killing Lincoln (by Bill O’Reilly and Martin Dugard) The heart-stopping events surrounding the assassination of Abraham Lincoln.
- God Is Red: The Secret Story of How Christianity Survived and Flourished in Communist China – Liao Yiwu (Author); Wenguang Huang (Translator)
The Works of Stephen Charnock (5 Vols.) – Charnock was a Puritan theologian and preacher who was also chaplain to Henry Cromwell.
Sweetness – The Enigmatic Life of Walter Payton (by Jeff Pearlman) – As a young boy growing up in PA, Payton was easily my favorite player. The only posters in my room were of Walter Payton. I’m looking forward to this one.
What Is the Mission of the Church? Making Sense of Social Justice, Shalom, and the Great Commission (by Kevin DeYoung and Greg Gilbert)
- The Meaning of Marriage (by Timothy Keller with Kathy Keller) – The Complexities of Commitment and the Wisdom of God
- 13 Books I Read in 2011 (by Stephen Simpson)